Join the Team . . .
It takes a village to create such an ambitious undertaking. We welcome your help. We are encouraged by the positive and enthusiastic response. Although the weekend is history, we recognize thatit was just the beginning. We received so many suggestions for future offerings.
Here is a short list of ideas and suggestions from the community. If there is something on the list that piques your interest, if you know someone who would be an excellent presenter, or if you want to help plan an event, please let us know. We'd love to expand our team of movers and shakers!
Suggestions from participants:
- Keep going! Keep having more offerings-- more like this.
- Writing Legacy Letters
- Death of animals/loss/grief
- Elephants: What the Sleeping Giants Teach us about Living and Dying
- End of Life from different faith perspectives: Islam, Judaic, Buddhist, Christian
- More information on home care and ways to prolong and improve quality of life as we age
- More positive stories – good death stories
- Before I Die Walls– discussion of postings (youth and adults??
- More Death Over Dinner events
- Sharing/discussion of favorite books – poetry, non-fiction and fiction on dying, death, etc.
- Film/video festival featuring topic related films to view and discuss
- Spiritual poetry/writing resources
- Story Slam, Ancestor Stories – work with Jane Valencia and Vashon Wilderness Program (families and children)
- Green Burial composting – Urban Death Project, Katrina Spade
- Make your own shroud, urn, coffin, basket with Island artists
- Talking with children about loss and death
- How to respond when a friend or loved one announces they have a serious or terminal diagnosis
Another really powerful way you can help is to spread the word – we want EVERYONE on Vashon to know about the weekend. Share this website and our Facebook page with everyone you know.
Donation Opportunities: This Is A Community-Owned Project – Help Us Cover Our Expenses!
We are grateful for financial support for this all-volunteer effort, involving more than 50 volunteers and a broad cross-section of our community – nonprofits, faith groups, key leaders, businesses and health care providers. Our goal is to continue to provide provocative, new information and opportunities for continued dialogue. And we want for all of these offerings to be free. Donations will cover costs for publicity, educational material, overhead for some events and honorariums for guest speakers. To contribute write a check to Vashon Senior Center with Vashon Conversation in the memo line.
Mail to: Vashon Senior Center, PO Box 848, Vashon, Washington 98070.
This might be the perfect opportunity to give a donation in memory of a loved one or friend . . . or simply to honor someone whom you care about, respect, admire. We will recognize your and those special people in our publicity.
Looking Ahead . . .
This Ram Dass quote comes to mind: “We are all just walking each other home.” Indeed, this is the beginning of a shared journey.
Watch for more offerings in 2017.